Things I would do if I could change how elections work in America:
- Make election day a paid holiday. Many people can't afford to take time off work to go vote.
- Provide two days of polling. Make sure that people and businesses can arrange their schedules to let as many people vote as possible.
- Allow absolutely no results to be released until the polls have closed on the second day. Why go vote when you already know the outcome?
- Offer an incentive to vote. Yeah, the ability to elect your leaders and decide important referenda should be enough incentive, but obviously that's not working. So, allow everyone who votes to get a tax credit.
- Allow "none of the above", or no confidence, choices on the ballots. There aren't too many things worse than having to choose between two shitty candidates. Unless it's having only one shitty candidate.
- When a person is released from prison, restore their voting rights. If they've "paid their debt to society", why shouldn't they be allowed to vote again?
- Make it easier for third- (and fourth-, fifth-, sixth-) party candidates to get on the ballot. Yeah, they might be crackpots, but if it's what the people want, it's what the people deserve.
- Abolish the electoral college. No more of this "swing state" crap. If you want to run for president, you should have to reach out and connect with all of America, not just a handful of states.